Tuesday 8 November 2016

Airfix Ancient Britons - rediscovered

These are the rediscovered these Ancient Britons. This army was painted by my friend Stuart Asquith and I bought it from him back in the late 1970s for the princely sum of £5.  They were handed over in a pub just around the corner from the old Minifigs Shop in Gillingham Street, London Victoria .

My problem is that these are based for the old 5th edition WRG rules.  Light Infantry and skirmishers are on single figure 30mm square bases, Medium Infantry are 3 figures on 20mm x 30mm  bases and heavy infantry on multiples of 15mm by 20mm. The Ancient Britons warbands are all classed as medium infantry.   As you can see from the pictures, the skirmishers take up a lot of room.  The question is should I rebase them and the Romans?











The cavalry are all conversions of the US cavalry figures with cloaks of plasticine and home made shields.




11 comments:

  1. Very nice. Don't rebase, just adjust the Romans! Have you seen these (near the bottom of the page)?
    http://willwarweb.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - don't rebase. These look great the way they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Stryker. On balance it looks like I should keep the bulk the same.

      Delete
  3. The risk to brittle plastic is too great-I would keep them as is and enjoy them in all their vintage glory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, thanks for the link. Love the armies. Notice you have skirmishes on 2 figure bases, looks interesting might think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Classic! Such a flood of nostalgic memory of books and of first ancient armies from decades ago.

    I'll add my voice to the "leave 'em be" camp. Rules can always be adjusted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ros. Glad you liked them. You are right about the nostalgic effect of these old figures. I can even remember what was going on when I painted some of the units. Good point about adapting the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are wonderful. Particularly like the cavalry conversions! Don't rebase. They already have an opponent based the same way. That wonderful Roman army!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi David, glad you liked the figures and the conversions. The consensus is to leave well alone so I think I will stick with them as they are.

    ReplyDelete