Tuesday 24 March 2020

Looking to the future - 2 SAGA armies

I have passed the year mark for my cancer and stopped the last chemo treatment for yesterday as I didn't want to lower my immune system still further in light of the COVID19 virus. I am now on what I describe as a boiler maintenance programme.  The chemo has shrunk the cancers and the one drug I now have poured into me every 3 weeks should help to hold the line until the Mongal hordes overwhelm the defences again.  But no change in the prognosis unfortunately.    I did take birthday cake into the chemo unit with one candle, lit it and one nurse said 'ahh is it your birthday?'  when I announced 'no, it's the cancers' she looked like I was a bit odd.  No sense of humour but some got it still they ate the cake!

Anyway, looking to the future and having 12 weeks house arrest to deal with I like many of you have got my paintbrushes out and looked at the lead mountain that I suspect we all have.  Not wanting to start a large new project, I knew Bob had some Saxons and Vikings hanging about and we had talked about trying the Saga rules again.  We had played one game a year or so ago and it was quite fun and quick and more importantly didn't entail lots of figures.  Bob kindly passed on to me the equivalent of a 4 point Saxon and Viking army.  

They were quite interesting to paint, I found the Newline figures easier than the Irregular Miniature ones for some reason.  So Bob now has them back and they are ready for a game once we are free to move about again.

Vikings
Mostly Irregular Miniature figures.  My apologies for the pictures , my proper camera has developed a fault and so I used an old camera I found in the draw.  I tried my main camera again and although it still comes up saying it has a fault I think the pictures of the Saxons are much better.







Saxons
I think these are mostly Newline Designs.  I also got a lot more carried away with the shield designs on these figures.








Now on to more Jacklex conversions,  some Strelets Rifts, maybe another regiment of Austrians for my 1866 Austrian army some more French 1870 units, some interesting looking 1866 Hesse Homberg lancers. a Bactiran camel drawn ambulance for the Russian Crimean forces and on and on...... 

12 comments:

  1. I do like your ancient figures and their colourful look, great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi thanks for looking and posting. I went to town on the Saxon shields. Tried to copy those on line.

      Delete
  2. I like the animation on the Newline figures, they look like they mean business. Hope your window of respite goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm yes the Newline figures give you a choice of weapons and I did enjoy painting them.

      Delete
  3. Here's to a 2 candle cake and counting. And to many more miniatures making it from painting queue to table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob, 2 candles will probably set the fire alarm off and clear the hospital!!

      Delete
  4. That must be so frustrating but I do admire the way you meet it head on with humour - I can picture the nurses blank looks as the NHS seems to struggle with anyone who takes a different outlook from the prescribed 'we can fight it and beat it' line that can get so old so quick.
    I hope all goes well - stay isolated - and do treat us to Dark Age SAGA bash some time soon as you AARs are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rob. It seems you have two options with cancer, laugh or cry. I prefer the former although I confess to the lows now and again. Looking forward to some SAGA games. Something to aim for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep safe and keep smiling , Cheers Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony,, at least the sun is shinning and I can sit in the garden. Cast some figures yesterday so more to paint.

      Delete
  7. Your good sense, humour and painted toys serve you well!

    I look forward to your SAGA game reports and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At times like this you have to keep a sense of humour it would be too easy to be overwhelmed by all the COVID19 reporting. I am looking forward to the games as well. In my case because of the cancer I am stuck indoors until the end of June! Having a good look at solo war gaming to keep my hand in at rolling hopeless dice when I need a '6'. Best wishes and keep well.

    ReplyDelete