Monday 17 February 2020

S Range Prussian Pioneers - Conversions

Whilst fiddling about making the casualties for my Ambulance service, I came across a couple of conversions that I had started with the idea of making a small unit of Prussian Pioneers.  I wasn't wild about these but thought I should just go ahead and painted them up.

The figures are based on the 2 Prussian Artillerymen and one Prussian infantryman.  The conversions are fairly obvious.  



Given the figures I used,  you can do exactly the same conversions to create Bavarian or Wurttemberg Pioneers although I have struggled to find any pictures or uniform details for either.  The only uniform I did come across was a Saxon Pioneer which is the same uniform as the Prussians but in green. 

The 'shovels' are from Irregular Miniatures SW20 Farm Implements.  Gripping Beast also make a set of tools SC62  12 tools for £2.00, as do Essex Miniatures X52 which includes Hammers, shovels and picks 8 tools for £2.50. Prices exclude p&p.  I am sure there are others out there, but these I have used in the past.  One set of tools allows you to make up a number of 'pioneers'.

My latest messing about is to make a third gunner for the Prussians, Bavarians and Wurttembergers artillery crews. I always think they look a bit odd with only 2 gunners/poses.  This one will be holding a rammer and will be a conversion of the gunner with the shell.





8 comments:

  1. Not sure about the one with the shovel on his shoulder - he'll get his uniform dirty - but I like the one resting on his shovel - he looks like he's thinking "I love hard work, I could stand and watch it all day long..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob, I know what you mean about the shovel on the shoulder figure. As I said I did these ages ago and wasn't that wild about them, so they got thrown back into the pile unpainted. It was only that I was making the FPW casualties that I came across them in the 'bit and pieces' pile and I decided to paint them. By then, the superglue had actually set and it was either paint the figure with the shovel over the shoulder or melt him down!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Every now and again Bob and I play a game using sappers, blowing bridges or something so it is nice to have figure which aren't advancing of standing firing and sort of represent the function they are trying to carry out.

      Delete
  3. I think they're snazzy, ABC.
    All the best
    WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wellington Man, must pluck up the courage to have a go with the soldering iron. However, it shows you how keen I am, I can't find it in the loft!

      Delete
  4. Nice conversion work, and great looking figures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Phil, got some of the Essex tools so I can have a go at Pioneers for the other nations now.

    ReplyDelete