Sunday 3 November 2019

Egyptians and Assyrians a first try!

Took my Assyrians over to Bob’s to take on his Egyptians this week.  To be honest it didn’t go well.  We both struggled to remember how the rules worked and really got bogged down trying to work out the morale outcome between the Assyrian and Egyptian chariots.  Firing was simple and I had drawn up an OOB sheet which Bob copied across to his army which made unit and class identification easy.   But in the end we were forced to abandon the game and resolve that we need to try some small scale actions solely to work things out.  

I used these rules virtually every Sunday for a game and for the life of me I couldn’t remember how to work things out, only that it never seemed this difficult!  Anyway, I took a few pictures and we are determined that both armies deserve another proper outing!

Bob’s army needs some work on the bases as they were rapidly stuck on anything that came to hand including some of the original beer mats!  So we are going to have a base painting session to draw them altogether and give some cohesion. The Egyptians were aided by Hittites and an array of other troops! Many of the Hinchcliffe Hittites came via Stuart Asquith many, many moons ago.

The palm trees in these pictures are all off ebay.  You can get some fantastic bargains and great looking trees.  15 trees for £7.00 or a different variety 12 for £6.00.  Highly recommended.  They come in different sizes and all sizes are ideal for 25/28mm.  The small to mid range work for 20mm. They mix well together and can cover biblical to the present day and from Portugal in the west to the middle east and beyond. 










 














7 comments:

  1. Even if it didn't play well it still looks great - I assume this was 5th Edition WRG that you mentioned in a previous post? I was especially taken with the Hittite Guard Axemen, somehow in my mind's eye I had always seen them with bronze helmets and fairly plain undyed clothing; the colour scheme certainly challenged some of default assumptions for the period.
    My Hinchliffe Hellenistic armies are off to a friend's in fortnight for weekend's gaming - probably going to stick with 'To the Strongest'. We usually aim for a gang of four (2-a-side) but are limited to three for this upcoming weekend so may have to play some 'chit games' as described in my article in the fourth (and sadly penultimate) issue of 'The Wargamers Notes Quarterly' - I don't know if they're still available but I can send you pdf copies if interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hittite Guard Axemen were painted by Stuart Asquith at least 40 years ago. You are probably right about the headgear and clothing, but these certainly 'cut a dash' on the wargames table. Can you email me on abcwargamers@gmail.com?

      Delete
    2. Just seen the sad news about Stuart earlier today on the Grimsby Wargaming blog.
      Will email.

      Delete
  2. I played loads of WRG at college: doubt I could now! Younger brains and the time to work it out must be a bonus. At least the spectacle of some fab figures is a consolation. And the palm trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeffers, think you are right about the younger brains bit. Thought this would be a doddle given all the games I had played in the past. But as they say the @Past is a Different Country'. It might as well have been a different planet for what I could remember! The palm trees are a must. When I think of the metal versions and deformed 'toy ones' I have had in the past and what they cost, these seem to be the only thing in the hobby that has got cheaper.

      Delete
  3. Lovely O.S. figures , an amazing looking battle .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, it did look good to start with and Bob's flank attack coming out of the Palm grove looked the part, pity we couldn't push on through the rules!

    ReplyDelete