Saturday 18 May 2019

The Hardest Blog to write?

Well went to see the doctor with a bit of indigestion at the beginning of March and by the end of the month was told it was terminal cancer.  No cure months, not weeks at least!

Having been a gym person and passed all my medicals up to this point it was a bit of a surprise but I guess we all have a shelf life and mine is coming up.  So back home and then looking at 40 years or more collection of Wargame stuff and where to start to sort it all out?

Bit of a bummer as I had cast up figures for my ongoing 1866 project and they sit and stare at me.  Decided that I may push on with these for a bit.  But what to do with them all?  So many home made moulds.  Quality varies but they work.  Castings and other bits and pieces.

Last week, John has sent me examples of the various Belgium/Austrians and French in Mexico figures I made up for him.  The castings look very nice and are available from him.  Annoyingly, as I can see how some of them could fit into my French 1870 army.  I hope to paint some of these too show the finished article. 

So I am looking for advice, rather than sympathy.  The 15mm Napoleonic stuff should be easy to move as their are many collectors but when it comes to the old S range it is a bit more selective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder so to speak. Not everyone's period either.

The question is do I sell all my S range as a collection, or in parts?  My desire is for them to go to someone who would appreciate them for what they are and maybe keep altering them.  But, by the same token, that’s a big ask and there may be many who would like some, but not all and what price does one ask?  It is not an immediate issue.  I am told that since I am ‘fit and well’ (bit ironic) that starting the treatment early means I have a chance of responding better and (maybe) some extra time. 

Before getting a chance to post this l got rushed into hospital this time last week.  If someone had told me it was all over I would have been happy.  But the brilliant nursing staff and doctors at our local NHS hospital got me back home 'fit-ish and more important mentally well enough' to at least post this blog and continue the clear out. 

Setting myself goals and milestones Christmas being the first, then see how things progress.  You never know.

Still aim to wargame with Jack and Bob for as long as I can and hopefully post lots of pictures.  Promised Jack a Franco Prussian/Austrian/Allies mega game with my S range figures may look silly getting everything onto the table but what the hell.

3 comments:

  1. I have had a lot of very nice posts and I want to thank you all for them. Since they are personal I hope you don't mind I don't publish them but recognise all of you for the good wishes you have offered.
    Any money will go to Cancer Relief and it is more about finding them a good home where they will be appreciated rather thank trying to raise a fortune. That's part of the worry.

    Two daughters and Jack reaching 90 and having promised his large colonial collection to Bob and I. Bob will be awash with figures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I've always enjoyed your blog and am very saddened to read this news. It must be devastating for you and your family. Your positive attitude really comes across and I'm sure that you will make the best of the time available. Please don't feel that it is necessary to reply to this. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am saddened to read the above news re your medical status. I was very impressed as to the manner in which you described your status. I trust you will respond favorably to the approach your physician recommends . You shall be in my thoughts .
    I have enjoyed your writings of your adventures with the magical S Range . As you know, they are a fascinating range and I have them in my AWI, ECW, and especially in my FPW collection.
    I am looking forward to further contributions from you and hope we can correspond further. My kindest regards. Hal Thinglum

    ReplyDelete